Welcome to the last post in our Teacher Fellow Cohort Spotlight series, where we highlight the passions and interests of the inaugural class! This week, we are pleased to introduce the fellows from the West Coast.
Comprised of 12 high-performing K-8 teachers from across the U.S., this team of teachers will collaborate with Scholastic Education Solutions’ product development, research and publishing teams across the school year, offering a direct pathway to their diverse expertise and the real-time experiences of their classrooms while providing the teachers with unique professional development opportunities. For more information about the Teacher Fellow Cohort, please visit this announcement post.
To learn more about how these educators are assisting Scholastic in developing materials that better support students and families, and how these fellows are impacting education in their own hometowns, read below.
We are pleased to introduce Jenifer, Lisa, Genelynn, and Robin!
Jenifer Evans, Honolulu, HI
- Grade 3 Teacher, Jenifer Evans, works at Hahaione Elementary School in Honolulu, HI, where she focuses on developing students’ independence and collaboration through her innovative practices. Jenifer serves the Hawaii Department of Education as the Aloha Ambassador Farrington-Kaiser-Kalani District and lectures on educational technology at the University of Hawaii - West Oahu.
- By joining the Teacher Fellow program, she hopes to find new and engaging ways to support her students as they create connections and find tools to fulfill their passions.
Lisa A. Johnston, Brinnon, WA
- Kindergarten teacher, Lisa A. Johnston, works at Brinnon School. She has worked with many grade levels and is leading a new transitional kindergarten program to serve various student groups as one collective. She enjoys cross-collaborating on projects that will assist her students to grow further.
- Lisa is excited to join the Cohort and meet other educators from different backgrounds and to help build materials that simultaneously encourages student independence and growth in foundational skills.
Genelynn Pugliese, Oakland, CA
- Grade 1 Teacher, Genelynn Pugliese, joins the Teacher Fellow Cohort from Oakland, CA, and works at the ASCEND School. She is a member of her school’s advisory board where she represents her students, families, and fellow teachers from TK through second grade.
- Genelynn has a passion for creating an equitable classroom and educational experience for all students. She believes each voice matters and that representation within and outside the classroom is crucial.
Robin Simmons, Madera, CA
- K-8 instructional coach, Robin Simmons, is currently at Hillside Elementary School in Madera, CA. She has worked as a teacher, a classroom management coach, and most recently, a district TOSA (teacher on special assignment).
- She is excited to join the Cohort and hopes to continue seeking personal and professional development opportunities that help her grow as an educator.