June is Pride Month, so we’re dragging it up with Jeffery Self! Jeffery is the author of Drag Teen, his debut YA novel. The book follows a high school senior (and aspiring drag queen) on a quest to go to college. Jeffery is joined by his editor, acclaimed YA novelist David Levithan.
Note: This episode was recorded before the tragic shootings in Orlando. Our hearts are with the victims, families, and friends of this devastating event.
- Jeffery Self is a writer and an actor who has appeared in Desperate Housewives, 90210, and 30 Rock. He has also starred in his own show, Jeffery & Cole Casserole. Jeffery currently appears as the host of the MTV talk show, Scream After Dark. The author of two books for adults, he hosts a weekly podcast called This Is Really Important on iTunes. In a starred review, Booklist praised Drag Teen, Jeffery’s first novel for young adults, saying, “Drag queens are virtually nonexistent in YA fiction, and Self does an excellent job introducing that world, as well as conveying the happiness that performing brings JT…. In the end, it may not be Prince Charming who is JT’s prize, but rather the discovery of his true self.” Follow Jeffery on Twitter at @JefferySelf.
- David Levithan is an editorial director and publisher at Scholastic, as well as the author of several YA novels, including Boy Meets Boy, Every Day, and (with Nina LaCour) You Know Me Well. Follow David on Twitter at @loversdiction.
- Learn more about Drag Teen here, and read an excerpt of Drag Teen here!
- Celebrate LGBT culture with our round-up of books featuring lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender characters.
- Music composed by Lucas Elliot Eberl
- Sound mix and editing by Daniel Jordan
- Produced by Megan Kaesshaefer