Watch: How to host the perfect read aloud
This week, we're celebrating World Read Aloud Day! Every year, this global celebration calls attention to the importance of reading aloud and sharing stories by challenging participants to grab a book, find an audience, and read out loud.
To help us celebrate, Pam Allyn, a literacy advocate and founder of LitWorld (the organization behind World Read Aloud Day), stopped by the Scholastic office for a live demonstration of how to host a great read aloud.
Watch the video below, or on our Facebook page:
Some of Pam's tips include:
- Get comfortable! A cozy setting is crucial for a successful read-aloud.
- Don't be afraid to be silly. Read with your child, not down to them. Loosen up and enjoy yourself!
- Create a routine for readalouds — make sure they're a part of every day, and not just at bedtime!
- Ask open-ended questions to engage your child (or classroom) in conversation.
- If you're reading to a large group, move around! Make sure every child can see the pictures and feels included.