The images and news stories coming out of Houston and its surrounding areas are horrific. Massive flooding—the result of Hurricane Harvey—has affected hundreds of thousands of people, and the water is wreaking havoc on families and children, and of course on homes, schools, and libraries.
Scholastic is coordinating a company-wide response to support both the short-term and long-term efforts:
- Today, Scholastic is making a $25,000 contribution to the Red Cross to aid in the immediate relief efforts needed throughout Texas and Louisiana.
- Over the long term, schools will need significant donations of books to rebuild their libraries; we will work directly with our customers to determine their needs once schools reopen, and we will be accepting requests from schools via the Possible Fund. Once the needs assessment is complete, Scholastic will make a sizable book donation.
- Scholastic Book Clubs is offering 500 free bonus points to Clubs teachers in the affected regions, which will help them restock their classroom libraries to ensure children have the books they need to help them regain a sense of normalcy.
- Scholastic News Online offers age-appropriate reporting for children, and will be covering the effects of Harvey for young readers.
- In addition, Scholastic offers tips for teachers and parents on how to talk to children about natural disasters.
Scholastic Book Fairs has several distribution centers in Texas. All but the branch in Houston are operating normally to help serve our customers.
© Charlie Riedel/AP Images