We're officially one month into the 2018 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge and we are excited to announce that as of this writing, kids have logged an impressive 46,478,683 reading minutes so far!
Here are some other fun updates from the first four weeks of the Challenge:
- We now have participation in all 50 U.S. states and Puerto Rico!
- As of today, over 466,000 children across 9,722 schools and organizations are currently registered in the Challenge.
- Reading Ambassadors have started to hold reading events all across the country! We'll be announcing our final list of Reading Ambassadors soon, but in the meantime, check out all this great coverage:
- First Lady of Indiana Janet Holcomb hosted a summer reading event at St. Thomas Aquinas School in Indianapolis! She shared some photos from the school on Twitter.
- New Hampshire First Lady Valerie Sununu held an event in support of summer reading at Northwest Elementary School in Manchester, and Mayor Joyce Craig shared this adorable photo!
- West Virginia First Lady Cathy Justice held events for third and fourth graders at Mountain Ridge Intermediate School and Eagle Intermediate School.
- Five Weekly Surprises are now unlocked for participating users, and include videos featuring J.K. Rowling and Arthur A. Levine; and the first three chapters of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!
- The new website for the Summer Reading Road Trip is now up! For the third year, two Summer Reading RVs will tour the country and host reading celebrations at local bookstores featuring costumed characters, author signings, activities and more. Visit the site to see where the RVs will stop throughout the month of July.
Illustrations by Jim Kay © 2015-2017 by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.