As Alex mentioned in a previous post, January is National Mentoring Month. So to celebrate all the mentors in our lives, we've rounded up a list of some of our favorite mentor/mentee pairs from literature:
- The first mentorship that comes to mind is Harry Potter and Dumbledore. Dumbledore guides Harry during his time at Hogwarts, giving advice, helping (when he can) and looking out for him - particularly in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- For better or worse, Haymitch is Katniss's mentor during The Hunger Games. Even though the two don't get along - especially at first! - they understand each other. Haymitch continues to guide Katniss after The Games during all the chaos that follows.
- In The 39 Clues series, Amy & Dan Cahill rely on Nellie, who is their au pair and mentor. Nellie advises and assists them on their mission.
- Perhaps the most classic mentor is Yoda! We see him mentor Roan Novachez in Star Wars: Jedi Academy. Master Yoda helps Roan learn to use The Force to become a Jedi.
- In Spirit Animals, the Greencloaks help Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan understand their Spirit Animal bond - the rare and powerful link between human and beast. They teach them the skills they need to continue their quest.
- I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read Lois Lowry's The Giver, but Jonas is chosen to receive special training from The Giver.
Who else would you add to the list?
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, chapter 23.