This week is one of my favorite weeks of summer because it’s Shark Week! For those of you not familiar with Shark Week, it’s a week-long special on the Discovery Channel which features shark-based programming.
To celebrate Shark Week, we wanted to share some of our favorite shark inspired books and resources.
As a Jersey Shore native one of my favorite shark-based books is “I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916” by Lauren Tarshis. In this book Lauren shares the story of young boy from New Jersey who comes face to face with a shark in the local creek miles from the ocean! Watch the book trailer below:
Scholastic News Online shares that beach goers in Massachusetts may be swimming with great white sharks this summer, but don’t worry there has not been a fatal shark attack in Cape Cod in more than 80 years. The article also shares interesting facts about great white sharks including every time a great white loses a tooth, a tooth in the row behind it slides into place.
Looking for other shark themed books? Check out our list below:
- Surrounded by Sharks, by Michael Northrop
- Fly Guy Presents Sharks by Tedd Arnold
- I Survived True Stories: Nature Attacks by Lauren Tarshis
- Hammerhead vs. Bull Shark by Jerry Pallotta and Rob Bolster
- Killer Whale vs. Great White Shark by Jerry Pallotta and Rob Bolster
- Discover More: Shark Attack by Gail Tuchman
- Discover More: Sharks by Penelope Arlon
- The Shark God by Rafe Martin and David Shannon
- I Survived: The Shark Attacks of 1916 by Lauren Tarshis, Scott Dawson
- The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark by Ken Geist and Julia Gorton
- The Magic Schoolbus and the Shark Adventure by Elizabeth Smith and Carolyn Bracken
- America's Shark Lady: the Complete Adventures of Eugenie Clark by Ann McGovern and Ruth Chew
- Bow Wow: a Bowser and Birdie Novel by Spencer Quinn