Welcome to our OOM series From the Kid Reporters’ Notebook. Each month we’ll share news articles written by Kid Reporters around the world, who are part of the award-winning Scholastic Kids Press program. Educators and parents can use these articles to help teach kids about the issues and topics that matter most to them. From arts and entertainment interviews to articles about modern day civil rights issues, here’s our latest roundup of “news for kids, by kids.”
Arts & Entertainment
- Zhoriél Tapo caught up with former first lady Michelle Obama to discuss her new Netflix show Waffles + Mochi.
- Zain Abbas interviewed Broadway star and fellow Ohioan Rory O’Malley about his career in theater.
- Teresa Fang writes about the long history of discrimination against Asian Americans, the increase in hate attacks against Asian American and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) in the United States, and how she and members of the AAPI community in North Carolina are speaking out against anti-Asian violence.
- Kid Reporter alum Leo Tobbe, writes about how members of Breonna Taylor’s family and community in Kentucky continue to seek justice for her a year after her death.
- Luke Lamour interviewed local leaders in his Connecticut community to discuss the continuing road to racial justice.
Health and Science
- Siroos Pasdar takes a look at how UNICEF USA is helping to distribute COVID-19 vaccines to countries in need around the world.