Celebrate the Fourth of July by having the children in your life learn more about famous figures from U.S history, the American flag and system of government with these free patriotic online resources from Scholastic.com.
- Do you know how many stripes were on the flag in 1795? Answer these questions about the American flag based on the given timeline.
- Review definitions of key words from the pledge of allegiance to help students contemplate its meaning.
- Students will learn about the stars and stripes of America's first flag with this reproducible. Then, they use their know-how to color it in!
- From schools to public parades, use this printable “Where Does the Flag Fly? Crossword” to show students the many places where the American flag flies.
- From Apple Pie 4th of July by Janet S. Wong to America the Beautiful: Together We Stand by Katharine Lee Bates, check out the “Patriotic Holiday Book List” and the “Fourth of July Top Picks” for reading suggestions.
- Looking for more summer learning ideas? Check out the summertime learning collection and join the Scholastic Summer Challenge, a free online reading program that motivates kids to read more books over the summer.
Happy Fourth of July!