In March, we launched Book Joy Live on our Scholastic Book Fairs Facebook page featuring John Schumacher (“Mr. Schu”) and an all-star lineup of special guests. This weekly event goes live every Thursday at 3pm EDT.
During each half-hour livestream, John and his guests celebrate and encourage independent reading and share Scholastic resources that are available to help homebound families.
“Planning, hosting, and participating in Book Joy Live has brought much-needed comfort, hope, and JOY into my life,” says John. “Each episode highlights and reinforces the joy that children's book creators, children's literature, and educators bring to our lives. I hope each viewer leaves each week with a smile and is inspired to read, deliver a book talk, and advocate for school librarians and school libraries. I know I do!”
Here's the lineup of special guests for May:
- May 7: Katherine Applegate, co-creator of the Animorphs series, and Dr. Alice Lee, member of Scholastic Principals Advisory Board
- May 14: Newbery Medal winner Kate DiCamillo and Jasmine Warga, author of Other Words for Home
- May 21: Andrea Davis Pinkney, author of Martin Rising: Requiem For a King, and Cassy Lee, a San Francisco-based teacher librarian and SLJ’s 2018 Champion of Student Voice
- May 28: Chicken Little author Sam Wedelich and Lynsey Burkins, an educator and chair of the NCTE Build You Stack committee
If you missed earlier Book Joy Live events, you can watch the replays on our Book Fairs Facebook page:
- March 26: Jess Keating and Rhonda Jenkins (live recording)
- April 2: Debbi Michiko Florence and Jennifer LaGarde (live recording)
- April 9: Kelly Yang and Kelly Gustafson (live recording)
- April 16: Renee Watson and Ali Schilpp (live recording)
- April 23: Ame Dyckman and Tamiko Brown (live recordings: Part 1 and Part 2)
- April 30: Christina Soontornvat and Travis Jonker (live recording)
Even in the midst of a global pandemic, there is a designated, welcoming time and a place for weekly Book Joy that encourages mood-lifting, restorative reading.
Thank you, John and guests, for being there for kids no matter what!