This week, we're celebrating World Read Aloud Day! Every year, this global celebration calls attention to the importance of reading aloud and sharing stories by challenging participants to grab a book, find an audience, and read out loud.
To help us celebrate, Pam Allyn, a literacy advocate and founder of LitWorld (the organization behind World Read Aloud Day), stopped by the Scholastic office for a live demonstration of how to host a great read aloud.
Watch the video below, or on our Facebook page:
Some of Pam's tips include:
- Get comfortable! A cozy setting is crucial for a successful read-aloud.
- Don't be afraid to be silly. Read with your child, not down to them. Loosen up and enjoy yourself!
- Create a routine for readalouds — make sure they're a part of every day, and not just at bedtime!
- Ask open-ended questions to engage your child (or classroom) in conversation.
- If you're reading to a large group, move around! Make sure every child can see the pictures and feels included.