The holidays are speeding our way, and it's time once again to think about holiday shopping (kudos to you if you've already started!). To make things a little easier this year, Scholastic Parent & Child magazine put together their first-ever Gold Star Toy Awards! The editors reviewed thousands of products and sent the best ones out to parents to test at home. The 24 winning toys are those that met the following criteria: innovative and cool; magnetic and engaging for the child; mind-expanding or educational; and an excellent value to the consumer.
You may recognize some of the toys, but we're sure that you'll find some new and exciting gifting ideas as well. To make things even simpler, the December/January issue of the magazine is completely shoppable! Readers can scan a digitally watermarked photo with the Digimarc Discover mobile app in the print edition of the magazine with their tablet, smart phone, or mobile device to be directed to the ShopAdvisor product page for the item. The page shows you a price comparison at different stores and lets users sign up for price tracking notifications or click through to buy!
You can view the full list of winners with photos at www.scholastic.com/goldstar.
The winners of the Scholastic Parent & Child magazine 2014 Gold Star Toy Awards are:
- Bébé Bath Girl, Corolle, $40, Ages 1 and up.
- Big Hugs Elmo, Hasbro, $60, Ages 18 months and up.
- The Book of Impossible Objects, Klutz, $20, Ages 8 and up.
- Busy Bus, Alex Jr, $44, Ages 10 and up.
- Doc McStuffins Get Better Checkup Center, Just Play, $80, Ages 3 and up.
- Duplo My First Circus, Lego, $35, Ages 2 to 6.
- Gears & Puzzles, PlanToys, $25, Ages 2 and up.
- Go! Go! Smart Wheels Train Station Playset, VTech, $50, Ages 1 to 3.
- Hot Wheels Car Maker, Mattel, $50, Ages 8 and up.
- LeapPad Ultra, LeapFrog, $150, Ages 4 to 9.
- Lottie Dolls, Arklu, $20, Ages 3 and up.
- Marker Maker, Crayola, $26, Ages 8 and up.
- Multi-Solution Shape Puzzle, P’kolino, $20, Ages 2 to 6.
- Nancy B’s Science Club MoonScope, Educational Insights, $50, Ages 8 and up.
- NFL Game Day, Fremont Die, $20, Ages 9 and up.
- Octonauts Octopod Playset, Fisher-Price, $35, Ages 3 and up.
- Octopal Squirters, TOMY, $20, Ages 1 and up.
- RC Extreme Hero, EB Brands, $80, Ages 8 and up.
- Rocket, Green Toys, $25, Ages 2 and up.
- R.V. Seeing You Camper, Battat, $60, Ages 3 and up.
- Showcam, Hasbro, $60, Ages 3 to 7.
- Trikke E2, Razor USA, $140, Ages 8 and up.
- Wooden Musical Train, Boikido, $40, Ages 1 and up.
- Ziggle, Radio Flyer, $50, Ages 3 to 8.