It’s here! The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is now open for teacher, public librarian, and community partner registration!
New to the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge? Here's what you need to know!
- Now in its 12th year, the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is a free online reading program dedicated to stopping the "summer slide" by encouraging kids to read over the summer. Beginning May 7th, kids can log their reading minutes online, earn digital rewards when they complete weekly reading challenges, and access tons of great free resources including videos and printables.
- This year we are very excited to announce that, in honor of the 20th anniversary of the U.S. publication of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, this year’s theme is A Magical Summer of Reading! Our brand-new, mobile friendly website features the beautiful artwork of Jim Kay from the Harry Potter Illustrated editions.
- Every year, kids participate in the Summer Reading Challenge together on behalf of their school, public library or community partner organization in hopes of earning special recognition at the end of the summer. That's where you come in! Pre-register the students in your class or group now, and they'll be all set to start reading and start competing on May 7th.
Need to register for the Challenge? It’s so easy! Just go to the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge website at scholastic.com/summer and login with your Scholastic credentials, create a new account, or sign in with Clever. Once you've logged in, you can access your Classroom Dashboard to add your class (or multiple classes!). You'll be able to track your students' reading progress all summer long, and edit or print class lists as needed. (Teachers: Make sure you hand out all student account credentials before you say good-bye for the summer!)
Did we mention the site is FULL of great, free resources? Some of these include:
- Free printables, like a reading pledge, a reading log, motivational letters to send home to parents, and reading certificate to help your students make a commitment to read and stick to it
- Book lists for all ages, now with direct links to The Teacher Store Online (Also, downloadable versions in English and Spanish!)
- Lots of videos featuring authors reading aloud from their titles, educators and experts sharing tips, and more!
At the end of the summer, we’ll recognize the “Best in State” schools in all 50 U.S. states, Washington D.C. and the U.S. territories, along with the Top 10 Libraries and Top 10 Community Partners. Each winning location will receive a Celebration Kit, complete with a special plaque and other fun materials to help them host a fun end-of-the-year event.
Last year, kids read over 138 million minutes. Are your students up for the Challenge? Visit scholastic.com/summer to learn more and sign up today!