Beginning today, we’re thrilled to announce that the nomination period is open for the 2020 School Librarian of the Year Awards!
Presented by School Library Journal and sponsored by Scholastic Book Fairs & Scholastic Digital Solutions, this annual award honors a K–12 library professional for outstanding achievement and the exemplary use of 21st-century tools and services to engage children and teens toward fostering multiple literacies. We’ve had the privilege of recognizing exceptional school librarians who have received this honor in the past, including Michelle Colte, Kristina Holzweiss, Todd Burleson, Tamiko Brown, and most recently, 2018 School Librarian of the Year Ali Schilpp from Accident, MD. They continue to inspire us with their passion for innovation and deep commitment to supporting their students, peers, and community.
To learn more about the School Librarian of the Year Award and the nomination process, visit slj.com/schoollibrarianoftheyear.
All nominations are due by November 18. Applicants can nominate themselves or can be nominated by supporters (i.e. administrators, peers, institutions). To be considered, applicants must meet state requirements for school library media certification and be currently employed as a media specialist, teacher librarian, or equivalent position at a public or private school at a site level. Previous applicants who have not yet received the award are encouraged to apply again!
A panel comprised of SLJ editors; John Schumacher (Mr. Schu), Ambassador of School Libraries, Scholastic; Ali Schilpp, 2018 School Librarian of the Year; and a school administrator will judge nominations based on criteria such as exemplary service to fulfill the needs of students and school community, creativity in programming and use of content, and more. This year, the winning School Librarian of the Year will receive:
- $2,500 cash award and $2,500 in-kind digital and/or print products for their library.
- A Scholastic Book Fairs “Mr. Schu's Picks” collection of books.
- A visit from John Schumacher, Ambassador of School Libraries, Scholastic, including a book giveaway for every student in the school.
- An invitation to participate in a 2020 Scholastic Book Fairs Summer Reading Summit (including airfare, one night hotel stay and summit registration)
- A profile in the April 2020 issue of SLJ.
Don’t forget to mark your calendar with these key dates:
- Nominations open: September 3, 2019
- Nominations close: November 18
- Winner announced: March 2020
- Winner profiled in SLJ: April 2020
We look forward to celebrating the amazing and important work of school librarians across the country who go above and beyond each and every day!