It all started on March 21, 2006 when Jack Dorsey sent the world's first tweet: "just setting up my twttr." And oh how the Twittersphere has taken off in the eight years since! (Let's put it this way: Twitter's basically in third grade now.)
To commemorate its eighth birthday, Twitter introduced a fun tool that lets you unearth your first tweet. Ours, sent on March 5, 2009, was about World Book Day; 21,000+ tweets later, we're still loving the platform and the way it lets us communicate directly with educators, parents, fellow book-lovers, authors, and fans.
Some great reads from around the Web celebrating the social media giant:
- In case you need a reminder, this is what the Twitter homepage looked like eight years ago.
- CNN Tech rounds up notable first tweets from President Obama, Jerry Seinfeld, and Conan O'Brien.
- More first tweets from the likes of Hillary Clinton, Diane Sawyer, and Warren Buffett, compiled by Parade.
- "Twitter's 8 Most Amazing Moments," via USA Today.
- Mashable created an awesome illustrated history of Twitter.
- From the International Business Times: the history of Twitter in 15 tweets.
- Are Twitter at-replies and hashtags going to be streamlined? BuzzFeed explores.
So what's YOUR #FirstTweet? We'd love to hear it!