It’s been a great year for Branches! This line of Scholastic fully-illustrated early chapter books is designed to grow newly independent readers, and with 19 different series (and counting!), there is truly a book to appeal to every child and reader. To further add to our 12 million Branches books already in print, we recently launched two more series alongside some of our most popular Branches books, including Owl Diaries, Dragon Masters, Notebook of Doom, and Eerie Elementary. Hilde Cracks the Case (based on the stories of real-life 11-year-old reporter, Hilde Lysiak—you can read more about her in this article from The New York Times), and The Last Firehawk (a great introduction to fantasy and quest stories for newly independent readers).
To celebrate the success of the Branches line, we are offering a sweepstakes for a Branches starter pack! Out of the six books listed here, which would your child be most excited to read? Tell us in the comments below and you'll be entered for a chance to win one of five Branches starter packs, which include each of the 6 books below from the Branches line.
- Hilde Cracks the Case: Hero Dog! Crime reporter Hilde Lysiak is starring in her very own early chapter book series -- inspired by news stories Hilde wrote in real life! In this first book, there's been a break-in on Orange Street! Cupcakes have been stolen, and soon a pie goes missing, too. Nine-year-old Hilde and her sister/photographer, Izzy, must interview witnesses and follow the clues. Can Hilde crack the case in time to post her news story online?
- The Last Firehawk: The Ember Stone: A terrible darkness is spreading across Perodia. Thorn, a powerful vulture, is using dark magic (and his dark army of spies!) to destroy the magical land. A young owl named Tag may be the only one who can save it! Tag dreams of one day becoming a brave warrior, but he is small . . . In this first book, Tag and his best friend -- a squirrel named Skyla -- meet the last firehawk. Together, the three friends learn about a magical stone. Could this stone be powerful enough to defeat Thorn? This action-packed series makes a great introduction to fantasy and quest stories for newly independent readers.
- Notebook of Doom: Rise of the Balloon Goons: Alexander has just moved to a new town where he is about to uncover all sorts of monsters! He finds an old notebook with the word "DOOM" on the front cover. The Notebook of Doom, which Alexander now holds, contains top secret information about monsters! In this first book, Alexander goes up against spooky balloon goons--unique and twisted arm-waving balloon guys! This book is full of humor, engaging black-and-white illustrations, and of course . . . monsters!
- Eerie Elementary: The School is Alive! In this first book in the series, Sam Graves discovers that his elementary school is ALIVE! Sam finds this out on his first day as the school hall monitor. Sam must defend himself and his fellow students against the evil school! Is Sam up to the challenge? He'll find out soon enough: the class play is just around the corner. Sam teams up with friends Lucy and Antonio to stop this scary school before it's too late!
- Owl Diaries: Eva’s Treetop Festival: Eva Wingdale gets in over her head when she offers to organize a spring festival at school. Even with her best friend Lucy's help, there is NO way she will get everything done in time. Will Eva have to ask Sue (a.k.a. Meanie McMeanerson) for help? Or will the festival have to be canceled? This book is written as Eva's diary -- with Rebecca Elliott's owl-dorable full-color illustrations throughout!
- Dragon Masters: Rise of the Earth Dragon: Dragon Masters has it all! Dragons, a Dragon Stone, a king, a wizard, and magic! In the first book, 8-year old Drake is snatched up by King Roland's soldier and taken to the castle. He is to be trained as a Dragon Master. At the castle, he is joined by three other young Dragon Masters-in-training: Ana, Rori, and Bo. The Dragon Masters must learn how to connect with and train their dragons--and they must also uncover their dragons' special powers. Does Drake have what it takes to be a Dragon Master? What is his dragon's special power?
Sweepstakes ends Friday, January 5, 2018. No purchase necessary, must be 18+ to enter. Sweepstakes is open to US residents only. See the full rules here!