In honor of Election Day, we've rounded up a few of our favorite election-themed books and teaching resources. Which election book would get your vote? Any others you'd add to the ballot? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
- Class Election from the Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler. Mean Mrs. Green is forcing everyone to run in the school election, but everyone just wants to run for their lives. (This title is also available as an enriched Storia ebook. A free teaching guide is available here.)
- Clifford for Presidentby Norman Bridwell. Clifford the Big Red Dog is back, and this time he's running for President of the Birdwell Island Dog Park. Will he be the big winner?
- D is for Democracy by Elissa Grodin, Illustrated by Victor Juhasz. From "A for amendment" to "Z for Zeitgeist," "D is for Democracy" covers many of the basics of the United States political system.
- Duck for President by Doreen Cronin, Illustrated by Betsy Lewin. When Duck grows tired of his chores, he organizes an election to pick someone kinder as head of the farm. (There's even a free lesson plan associated with this book!)
- LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign Trail by Mark Teague. Ike finds his civil liberties at risk when Hugo Bugwort promises to crack down on free-roaming, fun-loving dogs. Ike is compelled to join the political fray and run for mayor himself.
- Presidente de la Claseby Johanna Hurwitz. It's election time, and Julio is pretty sure he can't win, especially not against smart, perfect, popular Cricket. Lucas, on the other hand, might stand a chance, and so Julio concentrates his efforts on campaigning for his friend.
- The Ballot Box Battle by Emily Arnold McCully. On election day in 1880, Cordelia prompts her neighbor to tell the heart wrenching story of her own childhood.
- The Kid Who Became Presidentby Dan Gutman. Judson Moon returns as the President of the United States in this hilarious sequel to The Kid Who Ran for President.