The best books of 2013: a round-up of "Best Of" lists
What an outstanding year for the publishing world; there were dozens of phenomenal books that came out in 2013. The Internet is crawling with end-of-the-year round-ups and reviews, so we've compiled some of our favorite lists here. What books would you say were the best of 2013? We'd love to hear your thoughts!
- The New York Times released not only the 10 best books of 2013, but also 100 notable books of 2013.
- Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal asked 50 of their friends (like Katie Couric, Janet Napolitano, and Mike Tyson) to name their favorite books of 2013. WSJ also rounded up the titles that topped the "Best Of" lists this year.
- In addition to a broad year-end review, USA TODAY announced their Book of the Year (The Great Gatsby) and compiled a list of top 10 critics' picks.
- The Washington Post also has a special report featuring the best books of 2013: top 10 books of the year, 100 notable works of fiction and nonfiction, best audiobooks, and more.
- NPR is taking a break from lists this year. Instead, they've put together an awesome "Book Concierge" -- an interactive guide to 2013's greatest reads.
- Like NPR, the New York Public Library has an interactive list to explore. They call the 100 Children's Book Titles for Reading and Sharing "a snapshot of titles NYPL's librarians thought book lovers of all ages might like to know."
- The New Yorker tackled the best books of 2013 in two parts (here and here).
- Publishers Weekly strikes again with their comprehensive list of best books of 2013.
- Over at Bookish, they broke down their favorite books of the year into categories like "Under-the-Radar Reads: The Best-Kept Book Secrets of 2013" -- a great set of lists!
- Flavorwire staffers put together a list of the books they're taking into the new year, as well as a list of their 15 most anticipated books of 2014.
- Similarly, Slate's columnists, editors, and bloggers picked thier favorite books of the year. They also took a look at Amazon's best-selling books of 2013 and what they tell us about America -- an interesting read!
- Speaking of Amazon, they've compiled the top 20 editors' picks, best books by categegory, and top 20 customer favorites.
- I love the blog Brain Pickings, and this year, the curator has whipped up a list of 13 titles she calls "the Definitive Annual Reading List of Overall Favorites."
- And, last but not least, book lovers voted for their favorite 2013 titles in the 5th annual Goodreads Choice Awards. Do you agree or disagree with the results?