2017 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards: Submissions are now open
Hey, creative teens! In case you missed it, The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers announced yesterday that The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards is now accepting submissions from students across the country in grades 7–12.
Want to join the ranks of notable alumni recipients including Richard Avedon, Truman Capote, Stephen King, Sylvia Plath, Robert Redford and Andy Warhol? Well, now is your chance by submitting your art and writing today. To learn more about the submission process, deadlines and other details visit: http://www.artandwriting.
Here are some important things to keep in mind for this year:
SCHOLARSHIPS: New & Notable
- Gold Medal Portfolio: 16 high school seniors receive the program’s highest national honor, the Gold Medal Portfolio, which includes a $10,000 scholarship for their writing or artwork portfolio.
- The New York Life Award sponsored by the New York Life Foundation to recognize teens exploring issues of grief and bereavement in their creative work and providing six young artists and writers with $1,000 scholarships;
- The Herblock Award for Editorial Cartoon sponsored by The Herb Block Foundation to provide three young artists with $1,000 scholarships for their outstanding editorial cartoons.
- The RBC “Flaunt It” Award sponsored by the Royal Bank of Canada to provide two $1,000 scholarships to students whose work showcases and celebrates individual differences.
- The Gedenk Award for Tolerance provides six $1,000 scholarships to students whose work attempts to raise awareness of the importance of increasing tolerance in the world today.
- The Neiman Marcus Award for Fashion and The Neiman Marcus Award for Jewelryprovides one artist in each category with $1,000 scholarships.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Students in grades 7–12 in the U.S. and its territories, as well as American schools abroad, are invited to submit creative and original work in any of the Awards’ 29 art and writing categories, including architecture, painting, flash fiction, poetry, printmaking and video game design.
- All works are evaluated through blind adjudication first on a regional level by more than 100 local affiliates of the Alliance and then nationally by an impressive panel of creative-industry experts. This past year’s group of distinguished jurors included graphic novelist Art Spiegelman; authors Elissa Schappell, Daniel José Older, and Naomi Jackson; artist Mickalene Thomas; and film producer Michael Raisler.
- At each level of judging, all works are selected to move on to the next stage based on the same criteria that have represented the program since its founding in 1923: originality, technical skill, and emergence of personal vision or voice.
- Deadlines for submission vary by region throughout the winter months, with National Medalists announced in March 2016. More information is available athttp://www.artandwriting.org/guidelines.
- Winter 2016: Regional recipients are announced. Gold Key, Silver Key, Honorable Mention, and American Visions & Voices Nomination are honored locally through community ceremonies and exhibitions. All Gold Key recipients are considered for the next round of national awards and honors.
- March 2017: National Recipients & Sponsored Awards announced.
- June 2017: National Gold Medal Portfolio and Gold Medalists are honored at Carnegie Hall with their families and educators. Last year’s ceremony included special appearances by Alec Baldwin, Ken Burns, Billy Collins, Tim Gunn and Sonia Manzano.
- Summer 2017: Selected 2017 National Medalists’ works will be highlighted in theArt.Write.Now.Tour, a traveling exhibition publicly displaying award-winning, teen-produced art and writing. Writing recipients may have their work published in The Best Teen Writing 2017, an anthology showcasing stories, essays and poetry of teen authors. The 2016 edition is available at http://artandwriting.org/publications.
We cannot wait to experience the amazing and inspiring works submitted this year from teens nationwide.
The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers