Thirty years ago this month, readers were first introduced to the founding members of The Baby-sitters Club: Kristy, Claudia, Mary Anne, and Stacey. With nearly 250 titles in print, and new graphic novel adaptations by Raina Telgemeier, The Baby-sitters Club remains one of the most beloved series of all time. In this episode, we talk with BSC creator Ann M. Martin and her longtime editor, David Levithan, about the groundbreaking series and its loyal following.
- Ann M. Martin's Baby-Sitters Club series has more than 176 million copies in print worldwide. Martin, who lives in upstate New York, is also the author of the Main Street series; the Newbery Honor-winning A Corner of the Universe; Here Today; A Dog's Life; and On Christmas Eve; as well as the much-loved collaborations P.S. Longer Letter Later and Snail Mail, No More with Paula Danziger.
- David Levithan is an editorial director and publisher at Scholastic, as well as the author of several YA novels, including Boy Meets Boy,Every Day, and (with Nina LaCour) You Know Me Well. Follow David on Twitter at @loversdiction.
- Read excerpts, play games (we recommend taking the What Type of Baby-sitters Club Member Are You? Quiz), and meet the characters over at The Baby-sitters Club website.
- Follow The Baby-sitters Club on Facebook for trivia, Throwback Thursday content, and more.
- Learn more about Raina Telgemeier and her graphic novel adaptations of The Baby-sitters Club here.
- Read Lenny Letter’s ode to BSC, A Mary Anne with Kristy Rising: On the Enduring Legacy of the Baby-Sitters Club Books
- Don’t miss the NBC News article on Claudia Kishi, Looking Back on Claudia Kishi 30 Years After the Debut of 'The Baby-Sitters Club’
- Music composed by Lucas Elliot Eberl
- Sound mix and editing by Daniel Jordan and Christopher Johnson
- Produced by Megan Kaesshaefer