Trick or treat as Katniss: Literary-inspired Halloween costumes!
By Megan on October 23rd, 2012
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re anything like me, selecting a costume is both a serious and potentially stressful annual endeavor. I try my best to avoid the sheer mania that breaks out on October 30th of each year at all Ricky’s, Party City, and American Apparel Manhattan-based locations. Instead, I use what I already have at home, can borrow from friends, or find on the web. This year I’ve decided to help out my colleagues by parsing together their Halloween costumes for them (you’re welcome), and in keeping with our theme on the blog, each costume is somehow related to a book or pop culture. If you’re looking for a last-minute costume idea, look no farther!
Morgan is channeling her inner flapper this year by dressing as The Great Gatsby’s leading lady, Daisy Buchanan. There’s so much one can do with this character! To gather ideas for this look, I referred to the gorgeous Mia Farrow who played Daisy in the 1974 film. And a few photographs have been published of Carey Mulligan (here and here) filming her much anticipated rendition of Daisy in Baz Luhrmann’s adaptation, which is set for release later this year.
Here’s what you’ll need to create a Daisy Buchanan costume:
- Flapper dress (this one’s pretty but also pricey, so you might want to go the cheap route, hit up Amazon)
- long pearl necklace (Etsy has a ton of affordable options)
- elbow-length black or white gloves (eBay)
- beaded headband (there are gorgeous options like this one on Etsy, or, make your own!)
- boa or faux fur shrug (optional)
Lia wants to dress up as Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games. I think it’s safe to say we’ll see a few Katniss doppelgangers trick or treating this year, agreed? Katniss has several iconic outfits in the film, but I’m focusing on her hunting garb for this costume.
Here’s what you’ll need to piece together a Katniss costume:
- long braid (here’s a Katniss braid how-to video, straight from the head hair stylist for The Hunger Games movies!)
- bow and arrow (lucky you, there is a Fall sale going on at Bass Pro Shops)
- cargo pants (if you don’t already have a pair, eBay has great options like this one)
- brown leather jacket (fall into The Gap for this one)
- black combat boots (Zappos has a variety of styles)
And in case you missed it, Lia already dressed as Clifford’s owner Emily Elizabeth. Adorable, right? This one is easy—you should be able to track down these items in your own closet or a friend’s closet.
Here’s what you’ll need to piece together a Emily Elizabeth costume:
- blonde wig (if you’re not already blonde)
- pink cardigan
- black skirt
- striped stockings (Amazon has a bunch)
- black shoes
- and the most important accessory, Clifford!
Nadia chose a classic, Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
Here’s what you’ll need to pull off the Holly Golightly look:
- Black Dress (Etsy and eBay have authentic-looking versions, or wear a simple long black dress of your own)
- long black gloves (Party City has an elbow-length pair)
- plastic cigarette holder (I found this one at Halloween Express)
- bib necklace (Peter pan style in pearl, to be specific. Etsy has great options)
- oversized sunglasses (if you don’t already have a pair, Overstock has a ton of different brands)
- tiara (this one is pretty diva) or fabulous hat
Alex has already dressed as a character from a book—two years ago she was Alice from Alice in Wonderland!
Here’s what you’ll need to play Alice:
- light blue dress (if you want to get a little more adventurous than a plain a-line dress, try something like this with a little more flare. Or this mod version!)
- white apron (wouldn’t it be fun to try one of these colorful patterned aprons from Anthropologie?)
- red headband (love this glittery version with a bow!)
- white stockings
- black shoes
What are you dressing as? Share your costume ideas here!
No comments yet