Our favorite bookish best friends
By Morgan on August 15th, 2012
Who among us can imagine a life lived without a best friend by our side? I was lucky enough to be born alongside my best friend (my twin sister!), but maybe you didn’t meet yours until grade school…or college…or your first job. Or maybe you have multiple best friends — one from every stage of your life. Either way, today, August 15*, is unofficially known as Best Friends Day, so let’s take a look at some of the most inspiring, delightful, and perfectly-matched-in-their-own-weird-ways best friend duos and trios in literature!
Modern best friends in children’s lit:
Katniss and Gale from The Hunger Games trilogy: Whether you were Team Gale or Team Peeta, there’s no denying that the relationship between Katniss and Gale is one rooted in deep, deep trust — a critical factor in friendship.
Harry, Ron, Hermione from the Harry Potter series: One of the most beloved best friend trios in the world!
Stacey and Claudia from The Baby-sitters Club: The Baby-sitters Club has many sets of besties, but Stacey and Claudia have always been my favorite. Even when Stacey left the BSC, Claudia remained one of her truest friends.
Darcy and Norah in the Sleuth or Dare series: Who better to solve mysteries with than your best friend?
Of course, there are some classic sets of best friends, too!
- Nancy, Bess and George from the Nancy Drew series
- Frodo and Sam from The Lord of the Rings series
- Wilbur and Charlotte from Charlotte’s Web
- Anne and Diana from Anne of Green Gables
- Betsy and Tacy from Betsy-Tacy
- …and so many others!
Who are your favorite best friends in children’s lit?
* Apparently, the world is split into two camps: one which celebrates Best Friends Day on June 8, and one which celebrates it on August 15. So either we’re way late with this post, or we’re right on time!