How much do YOU know about the world?
By Kristen on November 9th, 2011
Pop quiz time! Didn’t you dread those words when you were in school? I promise this one will be fun, though. And it doesn’t count, so don’t worry!
The issue of Junior Scholastic magazine in classrooms right now is the World Affairs 2012 issue. I’m a bit of a nerd when it comes to facts about foreign countries, so I was pretty excited when this magazine landed on my desk. In addition to some really informative maps and “Who’s Who” profiles on world leaders, there are indexes of all of the countries in the world that include information like population, languages spoken, political system, and literacy rate.
So, how much do you know about the world? See if you can answer these questions!
1. Which language has the highest number of native speakers?
2. Which country’s President served a 10-year prison sentence before he was elected to office?
3. Which three countries have the highest percentage of national legislators who are female?
4. Which country is responsible for the highest number of text messages sent per month?
Click through for the answers!
1. Mandarin Chinese is the language with the highest number of speakers (about 845 million), followed by Spanish and English.
2. In the early 1960s, South African President Jacob Zuma was jailed for 10 years for opposing the country’s system of apartheid (separation of the races), along with Nelson Mandela. He was elected as President in 2009.
3. The top three countries are Andorra (53.6%), Rwanda (50.9%), and Sweden (45%). The United States has a markedly low ranking with only $16.3%.
4. The Philippines came in on top with an average of 601 text messages per subscriber sent each month. In second place is the United States with 301 messages!
So how did you do? Was anything particularly surprising to you? Let us know in the comments!
No comments yet