Tuesday Trivia answers revealed: "The Dark Thing" is no match for Voldemort
By Morgan on December 16th, 2010
Nearly 200 of you took our Tuesday Trivia quiz, which featured questions about some of the most listed books on You Are What You Read.
(Spoiler alert! Answers are below, so don’t read on if you haven’t taken the quiz yet!)
I was working a little spreadsheet magic as I combed through the results and came to the following (highly unscientific) conclusions:
- You all know your Harry Potter trivia. (As if that was ever in doubt!)
- Charlotte’s Web was easy for most of you, but A Wrinkle in Time was tough: that question had the lowest number of correct responses.
- Our trick question about Green Eggs and Ham fooled almost none of you.
Here’s how the responses broke down:
1. What is the symbol for Gryffindor? (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone) LION – 130 correct responses
2. How many tributes are sent to participate in the Hunger Games? (The Hunger Games) 24 – 81 correct responses
3. Why does the little boy want to cut down the tree? (The Giving Tree) HE WANTS TO MAKE A BOAT – 89 correct responses
4. Which of the following words did Charlotte NOT spin in her web? (Charlotte’s Web) SLEEPY – 148 correct responses
5. What is the name of the evil being who appears as a large black cloud? (A Wrinkle in Time) THE BLACK THING – 36 correct responses
6. How did Anne Frank begin each diary entry? (Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl) DEAR KITTY – 104 correct responses
7. In the first book of the series, readers are introduced to Bella Swan. She moves to Forks, Washington from which state? (Twilight) ARIZONA – 122 correct responses
8. What is the name of Anne’s childhood friend who teases her and pulls her hair? (Anne of Green Gables) GILBERT – 107 correct responses
9. There are two main characters in this book. One is Sam-I-Am (or simply Sam.). What is the name of the other? (Green Eggs and Ham) THE READER NEVER FINDS OUT – 157 correct responses
10. Bonus question! Who was Lord Voldemort’s mother? (The Harry Potter series) MEROPE – 102 correct responses
*note: not all respondents completed all questions, so that’s why the numbers don’t add up!
It should be no surprise that so many of you got so many answers correct; after all, these are the books that people around the world have included in their Bookprint on You Are What You Read and count as the books that most influenced us. We’ll keep the trivia up a bit longer because, well, people love quizzes (find it here). And in case this got you eager for more, you can always visit the Scholastic kids’ blog over on The Stacks, which offers some great trivia for younger readers.
Let us know in the comments if you’re interested in seeing more trivia on OOM. Thanks for playing!